Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Internet Movie Script Database

It exists and I thought you should know. It has a lot of scripts. I can't quite tell if it's legal or not. But it's pretty cool. I hope it stays around because now I can do things like correct and link to the quote from Shakespeare in Love:
HENSLOWE
But I have to pay the actors and the authors.
FENNYMAN
A share of the profits.
HENSLOWE
There's never any
FENNYMAN
Of course not!
HENSLOWE
(impressed)
Mr. Fennyman, I think you may have hit on something

I think they were wise to put in a semi-crappy HTML format. If anything, this is probably only going to make me more eager to buy bound, published scripts. So if you're a script publisher out there--please leave them alone! They'll help bloggers talk about your products. A lot of them are drafts, anyway. Just a few examples I randomly thought to look for--they've got versions of L.A. Confidential, The Godfather, The Godfather II, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Rushmore, and The Sting--the last very amusingly hawking a poster of Sting, the rockstar.