Saturday, February 12, 2005

Numa Numa Iei!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you are in luck! I link to all the Numa Numa needs you never knew you had, right here. But you need sound on your computer. If you're at work, I recommend you use headphones. I don't want to get you fired. But you definitely need sound. If you don't have sound, I'm sorry, no Numa Numa for you. You miss out on a major cultural moment of the early 21st century. You will also need the Macromedia Flash Player for your browser.

Ranajit Dam sent me the original link, with the subject-line of "stop what you're doing and watch this!!!".

The original version, and versions without the extra pictures, one subtitled and one not subtitled, are all available here, wrapped up in one SWF file that takes a while to load. The song is apparently a smash hit by a Romanian boy-band that's called O-Zone, and Fobiopatel (my main source) has links to their original video, which itself seems rather anime influenced. The newly famous vide seems to be the work of one Gman250. And here are the lyrics, in both Romanian and English. Just for kicks, the Technorati index of "numa numa". Over 400 blog mentions already.

I wish everyone could have this much fun listening to music, always.


As a side note, the first page of lyrics I found was not labelled as being in Romanian. I was trying to figure out what language they were in, so I could figure out what translator to run them through. Part of it seemed latinate, but part of it seemed more Eastern European. When I found out, I cracked up, laughing at myself. Of course! Once on an airplane ride I was totally discombobulated by the books piled up between me and the girl next to me--they almost looked like they were in Latin. . .I tried hard to read it. . .but. . .was it just such late medieval Latin that my Republican Prose training was useless? Had I already forgotten so much Latin? I mentally ticked off the countries of Western Europe. . .didn't look like French, Italian, Spanish, or even Portugese. . . Or. . .or. . .what? Finally she took pity on me, and explained that she was Romanian. Get it? Romanian. She read a little bit of it to me, and it sounded just beautiful. The best of both worlds, really. The easily-forgotten Eastern Land of Romance reminded me of one of my favorite childhood novels: The Dancing Bear, by Peter Dickinson. Worth a read at any age.