Thursday, November 04, 2004

A Time for Fabulous Writings And Visions

A few days ago I said that soon enough there would be time for literature, and the time is now. This is perfectly in keeping with my insistence that, politically, I will not give up or disengage; like I said, there are bigger cultural storms afoot. Besides, literature is the fuel of creativity.

So, the offical prize for literary blog essay efficiently tying up my interests in politics, film, and literature (and throwing in some puns for good measure) goes to the really amazing John Holbo of John & Belle Have a Blog: "Oh, sweet ursinality of lifelessness." You really just have to go read it, but he posts great screen shots from an obscure German film, links it to Chabon, then to beautifully bizarre short stories by Polish writer and artist Bruno Schulz, of whom I must confess ignorance but about whom I will now happily learn more. For the first line and screenshot, or even the last line alone, this is the kind of blog entry that makes me think of making a best of anthology type collection. This is the good stuff--let us enjoy it while we wait and plot.