Monday, November 01, 2004

Please Vote Tomorrow

I've been restlessly surfing the news channels and the blogs, trying to come up with one trenchant piece of news or policy pointer that should emphatically make the case for voting for John Kerry and John Edwards. And I find that I can't find one single thing that stands head and shoulders above the others. There are too many overwhelming reasons.

I'd like at least partially transparent and competent government back. I'd like a president who's capable of handling his own press conferences. I'd like a president who reads the papers and reads books. I'd like a president who doesn't suffer from mental inertia. I'd like a cabinet that works together to defend the country. I'd like an administration that doesn't doctor the facts in order to make ridiculous arguments.

When my father was born, his parents could not vote in their own country, their political fate dictated by the British Raj. Now that country is the biggest democracy in the world, and their granddaughters live and vote in the oldest democracy in the world. Change is possible. No, this is not even remotely a perfect democracy. No, everything isn't going to be made magically better if John Kerry becomes the President in January. But I believe that even when doing the right thing may not create all the change necessary, one should still do the right thing, because one can. If you're an American citizen who can legally vote,please vote tomorrow. Thank you.