Monday, November 29, 2004

CNN

I'm not really sure what to make of this, but it sure is amusing: Cyrus Farivar sent me this really goofy advertising campaign site that CNN has: The Power of CNN Under Your Command. It features CNN's famous anchors and reporters--Anderson Cooper twice, Lou Dobbs and Sanjay Gupta, Christiane Amanpour, and Wolf Blitzer and Paula Zahn, in standing around in offices and delivering the news to petulant and demanding individuals. My favorites are Anderson Cooper spitting out facts, and Lou Dobbs trying to explain something while his take-out-eating audience is busy making eyes at Sanjay Gupta--who seems perfectly happy to be making eyes right back at her. (That's gotta be some kind of SAJA first.) The interviews with the anchors are almost as funny--Anderson Cooper seems to be the most into the spirit of the thing, while Christiane Amanpour seems oddly unable to stop taking herself seriously. (She seemed a lot more laid-back when I met her last year.) Wolf Blitzer greeting his double is almost worth the whole thing on its own. I don't know when this was released, but I'll have to see if The Daily Show has something to say about it tonight.

It is a little dissappointing, though, because when I got the link, I was hoping it was a substantive campaign unveiling new features on the site.

Update I: You know, the "under your command" tagline seems like just a different way for saying "on demand." Remind anyone of Epic?

Update II: Sree points out that Dr. Gupta was one of People's Sexiest Men Alive in 2003, so this isn't really a first for him.