Thursday, October 28, 2004

Psychadelic Honda Diesel

I'm afraid I know little about the environmental or energetic merits of diesel vs. gasoline (or diesel vs. petrol, as they say in the UK), so I can't really judge the substance of the new ad campaign on Honda's UK site. But it sure is trippy! I'm almost surprised they didn't use a rendition of the great song Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix ("Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairly tales,That's all she ever thinks about...") to go with their mallet-wielding penguins, earphone-wearing bunny rabbits, giant lady bugs, and engine-swallowing porpoises.

What they did use was actually better--Garrison Keillor singing a new song about hate. Without speaking to the reality of Honda's new, and first, (and, they'd have you think, super lovely) diesel engine, I have to say it's a charming ad campaign. Click on the hummingbird's "Make Life Better" banner to watch the ad. (Or, the Film.) (I should disclose that I'm generally a big fan of Honda and their gas-efficient cars.)

Car folks! Diesel vs. gasoline? Is this engine really a good thing? Let me know!