Wednesday, May 19, 2004

What a long, fun, crazy day.

It started off incredibly wet and uncomfortable, and ended with much food and many laughs, and basically went in a steady increase from bad to good like that, with just a few odd dips and spikes. Sad I couldn't introduce my parents to all my friends, but good to suddenly realize in the mad rush of the last reception that in fact I had that many new friends. I also managed to survive insane mess of wet newspaper, plastic bags, and tangled up audio and video tape that we journalism students left behind us on the bleachers.

For those of you who are sad to have missed the webcast this morning, there's an archived version. If you move the slider forward to 2:09 and watch the the three minutes that follow, you can catch Dean Lemann introducing us, and then us screaming and throwing newspaper and audio tape in the air. If you watch very carefully, during the last segment of us screaming just about halfway up the screen on the left hand edge of the screen you can see a robed figure with long black hair. About halfway through that segment of cheering, that figure's cap falls off, and she bends down to pick it up. That figure is me. Take a moment to appreciate the enthusiasm with which we cheered. If you're really into it, you can then slide back to 1:19, when we journalists took President Bollinger's mention of New York Times vs. Sullivan as a shout-out. (I actually jumped the gun and cheered a bit early on that, but the audio isn't fine enough to catch it.) "Presbo" went on quite a bit about rivers and such, somehow equating the Hudson with free speech and freedom of thought as well as time and family. I missed a chunk of the metaphor somewhere, but I like rivers and I like free speech, so it's all good.

On anther note---woohoo! NYC24 made Gothamist! I think that's the most public recognition of my work that I've yet had, and it couldn't have come on a better day. Cheers!