Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Blogging from a DC Starbucks.

Well, don't I feel hip. I'm sittin in the Starbucks on Pennsylvania Avenue, accessing the internet with their TMobile wireless. I should have gone up to Dupont circle and blogged from there, just in case I might get lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Matthew Yglesias or Josh Marshall. Some kind of fancy motorcade just went by, sirens blaring.

It's been a really interesting if tiring trip, though I'm not going to blog about it until I'm totally clear with my professor who was on the record, who was on background, and who was off the record. People called out these signals with dizzying frequency, and I half suspect it was partially to impress and intimidate us more than anything, because very little sounded that revolutionary to me. What I can say is that I've had dinner with a (former) spy, and that was cool.

I thought this blog entry from "John and Belle have a blog" (two Crooked Timber bloggers, John Holbo and Belle Waring) was a charming example of blog as interesting public journal (as opposed to running commentary on news and events and links, like mine usually is.) I've been pretty lax about reading Crooked Timber even though I usually like it when I do. But I recently realized that I had met Waring back in the day, when she TAed (briefly) for my first Classics course at Berkeley with Mark Griffith. She compiled the Latin 2 reader which is still my favorite example of well-done desktop publishing. Now she's young mother in Singapore and I can read about her children's adventures. Ah, the internet.

Well, I need to actually do some work while I've got this connection.