Friday, February 03, 2006

That Was Random

I'm at the San Francisco Public Library doing some research. I've never come here before, and find it quite pleasant. Odd moment getting in the elevator though. Getting in in front of me, was a middle-aged African-American man in a wheelchair, and behind me a very tall (significantly greater tahn 6 feet, which is sort of the upper limit on what I feel I can accurately gauge) dark haired white man and a petite middle-aged or senior Asian woman. The latter two were talking to each other with a level of engagement that seemed to imply they knew each other and were perhaps working on a project together. We all get in, the elevator shuts, I ask the tall white guy to hit the button for the fourth floor for me. He does, pausing his conversation. Then he looks at me.

"Are you Indian?"
"Uh, my parents are. . ."
"Cool!" and the he and his friend get off at floor#3.

Somehow the elevator at the San Francisco Public library is one of the last places in America I would have expected to have that oh-so-familiar not-quite-conversation.