Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Mr. Roger's Meme

From Dark Days Ahead--a look at my zip code via the US Census. Look up your zipcode, report five facts about it.

First of all, I have to say, this reminds me of the Congressional district big board on The Colbert Show.

Uh, so here are five facts about my hood

1) There are (or were at the time of the 2000 census) 1050 more Seniors (65 and older) than children (younger than 18) in the neighborhood.

2) There are around 5,544 unmarried females over the age of 15, compared to 5092 unmarried males. No word on respective orientations, but assuming equal proportions of gay and straight, happy Valentine's Day straight guys!

3) 58.1% of the population identifies itself as White alone, compared to a national figure of 75.1%. 8.4% of the population identifies itself as Black or African-American alone, compared to a national proportion of 12.3%. .5% fully self-identifies as Native, compared to the national .9%, while .2% self-identifies as Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, twice the natioanal fraction. At 24.3% Asian, my zip code is a whopping 6.75 times more Asian than the nation as a whole. No wonder my Albertson's makes it a point to stock bitter melon. 5.5% of the population identifies as a mix of two or more races, more than twice the national percentage of 2.4%.

4) Our average households and families are each smaller than the respective national averages by about a third of a person. I'm not sure which that third that is--feet? hands? Excess poundage?

5) 56.6% percent of those who've passed their 25th birthday have a bachelors degree in these parts, compared to 24.4% in the country as a whole. Yet a slightly smaller percentage of us are in the labor force (63.7% compared to 63.9%), and the $14,9111 excess of median household income needs to be measured against 182.4 on the Cost of Living Index compared to a national average of 99.52.

And that's my neighborhood. Unrelatedly, I almost wore a zippered sweater to work today, but changed my mind for something softer. Shoes unchanged.

Um, I tag brimful and climateboy.