Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Public Service Announcement: Crime Statistics

I just threw together this table of the crime statistics sites of a few major urban areas, and as I find more information, I will update it. It's useful stuff to know in order to make an informed decision about where not to hang out, buy a house, etc.. But wherever you are, be careful and don't spend too much time outside in a secluded area by yourself late at night, especially if you're a woman. Take care, folks!

Update: These statistics, which I wrote about when I was at Columbia, came to mind because of discussing the sad death of a University of Maryland student, Arvin Sharma, whose body was found yesterday in the Anacostia river, but I'm not sure how relevant they are to this particular case, which is why I didn't mention it per se. I've never found a good centralized location for them, hence my making the table. It's something I wrote about when I was a student at Columbia.