Friday, December 12, 2003

Oh my. I don't ever want to cover a war, but if I end up in one, I hope my companions are this brave and smart. I had just decided that my Speakers Committee goal for next semester is recruiting the legendary war photographer James Nachtwey to come speak to us next spring. Now I just hope he makes it home alright, wherever home is.

I'm assuming Weisskopf is right-handed, and I can't even imagine what it must be like for a writer to lose his writing hand. Time Warner better take good are of him.

13 journalists have been killed in Iraq this year, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. These aren't guys who were trained as soldiers and who signed up to defend their country and die if necessary. They have the luxury of going home, but they choose to stay so that the rest of us can know what it is we do to our young men and women, and other people's children.