Thursday, March 23, 2006

My WTH?! Moment of the Week

So I was driving home, sitting in the north-facing left-turn lane of Sacramento at Ashby in Berkeley. It was about 7:15 pm, and fairly dark astronomically, but there were plenty of streetlights on. Several cars travelling west on Ashby, from my right, were turning left onto Sacramento--in front of me they twirled, and then down past my left side. Most of the cars were ordinary. One was not.

Living the Bay Area, as I do, I've seen cars with sculptures on top of them, once a pumpkin. I've seen cars painted all the colors of the rainbow. I've seen a van covered in armor made of old compact discs. I've seen a car with the dashboard totally colonized by gnomes. I've seen cars with skulls and figurines and mastheads.

But I have never seen a car covered as completely as possible in fur. 1-2 inch thick tawny, brown flecked fur, that looked very like it was taken off the back of an animal. You could see the glass, you could see the rubber, and you could see the fur. A plush car. A furry automobile. A fuzzy station wagon/hatch back. Nap going front to back. Slightly damp on top, the hairs clumping together a bit. Somebody decided to very carefully cover their car in fur. Either that or there are new species I had no idea about.