Thursday, March 09, 2006

Get Movin'

Not too long ago Shah Rukh Khan was interviewed by Newsweek, and he said that the reason Bollywood movies almost always feature song and dance routines is that musical theater is India's preferred genre of fantasy--as opposed to the ludicrous special effects of American action movies--because "one of the simple fantasies of Indians is that we can sing and dance when we feel like it." That fantasy is not entirely unrealistic--nor is it even exclusively Indian. Just this morning I was thinking about fairly modern and popular western movies that break out into the musical motion--Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Billy Madison, In and Out, and of course that great classic of B-uh-Hollywood, The Blues Brothers. With cheap cameras and accessible soundtracks, the fantasy doesn't even have to be for the rich and famous.

Therefore I hand to you my new favorite vlog--video weblog--courtesy of ToastyKen: SuperSecretDanceSociety. (Toasty said the acronym reminded him of my inititals.) So far I've enjoyed everything I've seen, but I share with you the Hip Check* and Operation Panther Storm. On a day when I'm badly in need of a smile, it makes me want to grab my camera and troll the streets for movement.

Of course now that I've told you, someone's going to come and make me dance. The sacrifices I make for you people.

*someone tell Martina!