Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Living Vicariously Through My Readers, Or, You're Only Young Once*

I'm leaving for New York tomorrow so I can go to the South Asian Journalism Association Convention. This is a great convention because you don't have to be South Asian or a Journalist to attend--just interested in some combination of the two. You're probably also going to want to go if you were a student of the organization's founder, Sreenath Sreenivasan, (that's Sree to you) at Columbia, where the convention is held every year.

Naturally my friends have decided that now is the time to remind me of the Bay Area fun I'll be missing, like Friday's free outdoor showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark in Downtown Oakland, or Radio Alice's free Summerthing concert at Golden Gate park on Sunday. So I thought I'd go complete the torture, and point out other fun events--like Summer Rooftop Drum workshop on Saturday or the the Native Contemporary Arts Festival on Sunday, both at Yerba Buena Gardens. Other things I might want to check out if I was in town: A weekend of noirish Los Angeles Plays Itself movies at the Pacific Film Archive, the opening of the summer festival series at Stern Grove, or just some general good music and style at Jazz at Pearl's.

But instead I'll try to catch Bishop Allen at the Mercury Lounge. Have some fun for me, lectores!
*In this lifetime, anyway.