Monday, September 13, 2004

Nirali

Nirali apparently means "different" in several South Asian languages, and editor Ismat Mangla recently brought my attention to this sleek new desi publication for women. I like the peaches, strawberry and chocolate design--it pays homage to our doesn't-have-to-match color sensibilities without dipping into the overused crimsons and golds. I was afraid, skimming the contents, that it would be more of the same-old, same-old, but it does seem to have been able to take "classic" South Asian American Feature topics and put a bit of a fresh-lime twist in them.

Mangla's cover story on getting South Asians into politics had fresh faces and an important new statistic:" Yet a recent report released by the IACPA indicates that only 37.75 percent of eligible Indian Americans voted in the last election." The obligatory moan-and-groan piece on a community gathering & bragfest was about a language group I'd never even heard of before. (Konkani?) The profile of Indian-American Actor made good (Kalpen Modi, better known as Kal Penn of Harold and Kumar Go to Whitecastle) noted his vegetarianism and political activism. And instead of gushing over the usual Little Indias (Cerritos/Fremont/Jackson Heights), Nirali made it out to Seattle, home to one of my own desi best friends--and frequent contributor of links--Rishi Batra.

I was quite amused by the beauty section--I've certainly had my share of "primping from the pantry" familial advice. My own favorite replacement for the turmeric facepack: Vicco Turmeric Ayurvedic Cream, with Sandalwood oil. It's a nice ointment for any skin that needs some TLC, not just a feminine beauty aid.

Well, I'd be even happier with a Renaissance in women's magazines, period, not just desi women's magazines, but any good website makes me happy. Check it out. (Update: And of course, Seshu Badrinath was way ahead of the curve. He's linked plenty of great stuff, as usual.)