Sunday, February 22, 2004

San Francisco's Gay Marriages, Shakespeare, Flowers, Cambodia, History, and Love.


Wow, I hadn't really absorbed the impact of the events in San Francisco. I just woke up, and couldn't go back to sleep, so I surfed on over to Electrolite: Our fellow Americans. Amazing. And you can send them flowers. With blessings from the King of Cambodia. Some interesting letters over at TalkingPointsMemo--I found this one especially telling:

"Josh,
I'm 62 years old and grew up in Missouri. When I married my first wife, who as Japanese American, we had to do so in another state. At that time it was against Missouri state law for interracial marriages to take place. Times change.

40 years later the pain of that state-sanctioned inequality, which made some couples second-class citizens, still stirs an old, deep-felt resentment.
"


Some more of the photos. Some of my favorites:
Groom in a kilt.
Bride in a White Shalwar Kameej with Bride in an Embroidered Brown one.
Political Art with Abe Lincoln.


Tangentially, I recently stumbled upon these photos of courthouse weddings. I certainly belong to a generation for whom marriage often doesn't really matter that much as a legal institution, yet here are people to whom it clearly does. (Stumbling thanks to blogger Robert Stribley.)