Thursday, December 08, 2005

Firefox Tabbing

I use the Windows XP Firefox browser, but I'm hardly a Fox maverick. I'll usually start out a browsing session with a couple specific projects in mind, and try to keep the tabs in each given window of Firefox relevant to one project, with another window for my sort of daily hits (Gmail, etc..) Invariably this gets mixed up, a window will have too many tabs, I'll open a new window, and then somehow a few days later I'll find myself with 19 Firefox windows with an average of 15 tabs each, and I have no idea where half of the links open came from. A lot of times I'll click on a link, realize I don't want to read it, and not read it. But neither will I close it, out of a sense of link hording---so an hour later, if I'm completely mystified as to where the link came from, I can end up reading it just to figure out what it is. I think if there was an easy way to view a list of ALL the tabs you have open at the same time, that would greatly organize my browsing. Maybe there's a Firefox extension that does this? Tell me if you can recommend a good one. In the mean time, I thought I would give you a very random selection of the links I've clicked on for the last few days, before I shut down and start the system afresh.

I'd be interested in seeing what other people who practice freestyle tabbed browsing come up with. It's really only interesting if you do it without planning on doing it ahead of time, so I'm not going to send it out as meme quite yet. I guess this isn't too surprising a list--two newspaper articles, one magazine article, two photoblogs, the ACLU, an Iraq blog, a blog competition, a cute kid and a cute dog. I left out a bunch of scholar.google hits on various science papers, things having to do with work and school, and the usual suspects of daily blogs. A typical few days in Saheli-land? The only mysterious thing is I have no idea whatsoever where the Saluki hounds came from.