Saturday, July 23, 2005

Photos from Iceland

I've posted some photos from my Iceland trip. Did I mention that it was a mysterious and somewhat spooky place, in an entirely cheerful way? This, for instance, is where they used to drown witches near their ancient parliament:

The pool of water where they used to drown witches.


But they don't bother witches anymore!


Lots more photos below the jump! Click here to see them all.



I've already blogged about the Gullfoss--here's another view, with me in front of it:

Saheli in front of Iceland's biggest water fall.

There's a narrow, slippery ledge directly above one edge of the Gullfoss, and these rocks line it:

gullfossrocks

At Geysir there are hot--sometimes boiling hot--pools of water that bubble forth from the earth, one of which erupts several stories up into the air every few minutes. Two pools sitting next to each other are both electric shades of blue, but one foggy pool is entirely opaque:

geysiropaquebluepool

while the other is clear as glass:

geysirclearbluepool

Hot was the last thing we felt when we were nearly in danger of blowing off the cliff that that over looks Dyerhoelay, a gigantic "door hole" rock formation on the Southern coast of Iceland near Vik. The photo is slightly murky because of the sleet sheeting down from the sky and the fact that I'm trying to keep my arm from blowing off:

dyerholaey

This puffin seemed immune to the wind, as it contemplated the black sand beaches below, and completely ignored us:

puffin2

Here are some Icelandic flowers growing in the black sand and volcanic rock, bright purple despite the wind and cold:

purpleflowersdyerholler

Here are some statues outside the Perlan, who also don't seem to mind the wind. Or do they?

statuesatperlan

The Perlan is a restaurant with a rotating dome that sits atop the highest point of Rekjavik. It's got a great view of the city:

reykjavik_from_perlanzoom

It's surrounded by large water tanks, filled with the extremely hot water that's been piped down from the mountains and will flow down from the Perlan to the heat parts of the city.

perlan

Inside the Perlan, which is also a museum, there is a Viking encased in glass. I hope he doesn't escape!

saheliandperlanviking

I wonder what he would think of downtown Reykjavik at 5 o'clock in the morning?

downtownreykjavik4am

And here is a cheerful penguin who is very far away from home:

penguinfarawayfromhome

Here's a link to my Flickr Iceland set as it currently stands; there are some pictures there I haven't blogged and I will let you know here if I add more photos to it. I would appreciate it if you would leave comments here on the blog. Enjoy!