Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Liberal and in the Military

I often say, somewhat timidly, that not all members of the military are conservative. I say this because I went to college with quite a few veterans, reservists and ROTC students, and had classmates from high school who are now serving. Many of them are liberal. It's an anecdotal sample biased by my Northern California location, but the assumption that the military is overwhelmingly conservative is so deeply entrenched in our political discussions--and is so thoroughly impossible to reliably verify--that I feel need the need to point it out.

Well a new blog has gone a step ahead in light of Karl Rove's disgraceful comments and is collecting the testimonials of veterans and active soldiers who are protesting his recent set of disgusting comments. Taking the Fight to Karl claims to collect the letters along with name, address, rank and unit, and publishes the former while withholding the latter. The impassioned letters have the ring of truth. Coming up on our national birthday, it's kind of awe-inspiring to read the words of people in my generation who are so passionate about both defending the Republic and righting its course. Some samples include this:
I'm an Enduring Freedom vet and I'm soon to be and Iraqi Freedom vet as well. I joined the Army "Reserves" shortly after 9/11 so I could do my part in the war, and look after one of my high school buddies that was about to be deployed. I've been on active duty since late 2002, doing constant tours. My last one was a stateside tour that I volunteered for because I got home when the recession peaked (late 2003), and no one wanted to hire somebody in the Reserves for fear of losing an employee to the war.
Since then I've volunteered for several liberal groups, such as MoveOn, Democracy For America, and a few local grassroots organizations. I also volunteered with the Democrats for John Kerry.
and this:
What the hell have you done in service of this country? I'm a proud liberal and a vet (US Army 91-95). Back when I first took that oath to defend this country against all enemies, foreign and domestic, I never understood what a real domestic enemy to this country could be. Thank you for showing me.
And this:
I'm writing you from [Location Withheld] Iraq, about 35 miles NW of Baghdad.. And I'm too tired to give Karl the verbal beating he deserves for his insults. I'm too tired because we're jsut a bit shorthanded over here, fighting his war for him. A war taht has made nearly every country in the world fear and distrust America, a war fought for a knowing lie dreamed up by Karl and his buddies, none of whom have ever heard a shot fired in anger, or helped pick up the parts of another human being after an IED blast.
I enlisted after the war beganm and after I'd gotten my degree. I could easily have stayed home and watched the war on TV, and Karl does. I do not support this war in the slightest, but I will not sit at home and lecture others on their insufficient patriotism when the nation is in need. I joined because I believe in giving back some measure of service and devotion to my country.
This is definitely a group that needs to find its voice and raise it. Emphases all mine.

Many, many thanks to Saurabh at Rhinocrisy for pointing this out.