Friday, March 04, 2005

Drunk in Africa

I just discovered a travel essay by my Columbia classmate and friend P.J. Tobia, called "Soused Africa," in Modern Drunkard Magazine Online. P.J. ran off to Africa for several months after graduation, and most of his journalism was about AIDS, but considering that the man routinely carried a bottle of gin in his pocket, he's well qualified to report on alcohol. While it's worth it just for the picture of him drinking out of a metal bucket, the article provides a nice, gritty read:
“That’s damn fine!” I yelled, hoping my exuberance would break the language barrier. It worked. The small crowd cheered and laughed as I poured half the bottle down my gullet, and people clambered into the small shack to buy the azungu another round.
I believe P.J. will have a regular column in the print magazine, so if you're into such things, check it out. Cheers!