Monday, November 17, 2003

This Reuters piece caught my eye in a broken MSNBC link on Patrick Nielsen Hayden's Electrolite blog; Googling for the exact quote,

"American soldiers handcuffed and firmly wrapped masking tape around an Iraqi man's mouth as they arrested him on Tuesday for speaking out against occupation troops"

gets you four pages of links in alternative, activist, blogosphere, and Middle Eastern media--but the only instance of "the mainstream press" buying the article I see is some kind of newservice called RocketNews that I haven't seen before.

Update: My sister correctly pointed out that by mainstream, I really meant mainstream Ango-American, because The New Zealand Herald seems to have run the wire story. There's also the fact that Reuters itself is mainstream.

Googling it again today (11/20/03) still yields about four pages of links, and on the first page there's a link on Yahoo! UK. The second page seems to be this journal's first real google appearance. :-). I've also fixed some of the links in this post. See today's post.