Monday, October 27, 2003

Published! An article I wrote over the summer in the newly printed issue of the Berkeley Science Review.

Full disclosure: Lior Pachter is a very good friend and former teacher of mine, and academically connected to other good friends of mine and to my sister Ruchira because of this. But I wrote it before Columbia professors began shrieking at me about how having friends is bad, and it's mainly explanatory. I'm quite sure that if I didn't have a strong and long-standing interest in Lior's work, and an easy habit from my student days of bugging him to explain things to me over and over again until I understood them, I wouldn't have been able to understand the science nearly as well. Perhaps somebody entirely disconnected from the research team would have been able to do an even better job somehow, but I think there's too much science that doesn't get conveyed to the public to absolutely cut out explainers with any connection to the subject.